Philippine Christian Literature, Inc., and its ministry Philippine Christian Bookstore, began when a missionary couple with a vision Alfie and May Johnston along with other missionaries from China Inland Mission came to the Philippines in 1952, three years after China fell into the hands of the communists in 1949.Under relatively new circumstances the group became Overseas Missionary fellowship (OMF) and started publishing Christian literature materials and even ventured going to the “bangketa” along the streets in Manila just to make Christian tracts and booklets within reach.
In 1957, OMF Publishers officially started and opened its first bookstore called Good News Book Center in Calapan Mindoro. The second Bookstore opened along Herran corner Taft Avenue, the same year called Christian Book Supply and the third one in Baguio City in 1959. In 1961, Mindanao Christian Literature the first bookstore in Mindanao opened in Davao City. Five book stores were added between 1962-1967. Another milestone was the acquisition of Good News Book Supply in Cebu City from Philippine Crusaders in 1966.
In 1972, The Philippine Retail Law requiring Filipino ownership of foreign corporations came into effect. A national Steering Committee was formed to study the ownership and operations of the retailing ministry to Filipino leadership. As a result, Philippine Christian Literature, Inc. or PCLI was the name registered with the Securities and Exchange Commission in 1974, effectively amending Mindanao Christian Literature, which was originally registered in 1961. PCLI then took over the retailing Operations while OMF Publishers focused on Publishing. Consequently, OMF Publishers turned over 11 retail bookstores to PCLI. Six fruitful years resulted in a total of 17 Retail Bookstores in different parts of the country.
Then in 1981, PCLI suffered a crippling financial setback forcing the closure of 11 bookstores. Mr. Colin Johnston the first PCLI Gen. Manager with the help of Halili and Associates, headed by Mr. Reynaldo Halili, employed immediate financial reconstruction to help the struggling ministry. Through the grace of God manifested in the able leadership of Mr. Johnston, PCLI was back in business. Several branches being added. During his term Christian 2 Book Supply in Luzon, Good News Book Supply in Visayas & Mindanao Christian Literature in Mindanao were renamed under the trade name of Philippine Christian Book Store. In 1984, a fire gutted PCBS Farmers in Cubao, forcing its relocation to its present site at EDSA. Mr. Johnston, spontaneously quoted Isaiah 61:3, “ I will bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of gladness instead of mourning, and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair.”
To be a major contributing force in the transpormation of lives through Christian literature and related products
To glorify God through excellent management, marketing and distribution of Christian literature and related products to the body of Christ and the Mission Field in fulfillment of the great Commision